I did it!!!
I finished my skirt and I am thrilled!!!
I actually finished it about 4 weeks ago but just never got a chance to have some proper pics taken of the finished skirt, last night was my first opportunity so here it is.
I am really proud of my effort and because Melbourne had some amazing warm days in the first week of September I did actually wear my skirt outside…in the world…and it was perfect. Made all the more better because I FREAKIN MADE THIS BABY!!!.
So, what to do now? Well I decided to do a top next. A good friend of mine is a collector of vintage patterns and she recently finished an adorable blouse from a pattern made in 1944.
I couldn’t help myself, I have to make this top. So I borrowed the top and tried it on – perfect fit and works so well with my Freddies of Pinewood jeans.
The pattern is a 34 inch bust and I AM NOT a 34 inch bust. So I copied the pattern onto interfacing – no way in hell I am cutting up a paper pattern from the 40’s!
I then skillfully (HA!) added an extra 3cms to the sleeves and sides of the pattern – the black lines are the original lines on the pattern and the red is my attempt at increasing the size of the top.
When I got into my sewing lesson I showed my teacher the pattern and my friends blouse and my ahem…dodgy alterations to the pattern size and I decided that was my next challenge. It’s a gorgeous top and I will actually make a few of them and shock horror…will go and buy the same fabric as my friends version just because it’s so freakin perfect!!
The real deal – vintage sewing pattern instructions.
So by the end of my lesson I managed to finish my skirt and started cutting my fabric out ready for my gorgeous blouse, just hoping that it does actually fit when it’s done. If not, then that’s ok. It’s all good practise I suppose!
Ready to cut the fabric.